Tuesday, May 10, 2005

A shot in the dark...

It's pretty simple, really.

I like wargaming. That is, I enjoy building and painting armies of small metal and plastic soldiers and marching them to battle other people's armies of small metal and plastic soldiers. I also like building the battlefields over which they fight. I even like talking about wargaming and coming up with new ways to play them.

So when I moved to my new house in North Yorkshire, I was keen to find a local club to test my mettle against other, similar enthusiasts. Knowing that Yorkshire has more Games Workshop Hobby Centres than any other area of the UK except London, I was hopeful. But my hopes were ill-founded.

So it falls to me to make the attempt to start a Wargaming Club for the York area.

I should state from the outset that I've never done this before, but I'm generally reckoned to be pretty good at organizing things, so I think I stand as good a chance as anyone of getting it off the ground. However, it occured to me that - stand or fall, win or lose - there might be some mileage in starting this 'blog to inform others out there of what I'm doing, how I'm doing it and what works and what doesn't.

So if you're thinking about starting a club yourself, pop in occasionally. I make no promises about how often I'll be posting, nor of how long I can maintain any attempt to start this thing, but I'll do my best to be constructive, honest and useful.