Tuesday, May 10, 2005

A Minor Problem...

So I've contacted this chap, Sam. via The Conclave and got a positive response as well as the news that his friend Dave is interested. But there's an issue. Sam's 15. Okay, he turns 16 in August and, frankly, I don't really care. But it raises an interesting question:

I'm following the advice in the Gaming Club Manual and starting small. I plan to have games in my garage and painting in the kitchen, followed by pizza or somesuch in the living room for those who want to just shoot the breeze about wargames and suchlike.

But what if most of those who're interested are on the spotty side of their majority? I feel a bit like I'm setting myself up to hang around with a bunch of teenagers. Not that there's anything wrong with teenagers, but... No, hang on, they're teenagers! Of course there's something wrong with them!! What have I done!?

Calm... calm...

The answer seems pretty obvious, really: I need some other adults around. These will dilute the atmosphere of hormones and hairgel, provide me with some moral support and make me feel less like the one running a youth club. I determined immediately that I would not start this club unless there was at least one other over-18 involved.

CLUB RULE 1: At least 2 adults must be present at every meeting.

Apart from anything else, it gives me someone to go to the pub with afterwards...

Now there's this bloke Maurice, from tech support. But he's based south of the city and while I hope he'll come along, I doubt he'll be able to make it every week. I need to get someone else on board. Preferably someone who already has a Criminal Records Bureau clean bill of health, like me.

Now, where can I find a CRB-checked adult with an interest in wargaming...? Looks like I'm off to Veteran's Night this Thursday!

No comments: