Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Seeking wisdom...

Whatever my personal assessment of my organizational abilities, life has taught me that it's always worth trying to learn from the experiences of others. "Time spent in reconniassance is time rarely wasted", as my old instructor used to say.

So it was off to Games Workshop's clubs page. There, I was able to download the Gaming Club Manual and the GCN's Introductory Handbook.

Now, these are both good documents, but the GCN's (incidentally, their website is here) is much more for established clubs joining the GCN. Even the GW document assumes that you've already got the basic format of "three or more people meeting together regularly to pursue a hobby or interest". I didn't even have that.

At this point, chance intervened. My PC at work broke and I called tech support. It took him until the next day to turn up, but when he did there was a moment of double-take as we each realized that we had met before at GW York's "Veterans Night". I took the chance to ask him if he fancied the idea of an independent club and he was enthusiastic.

Motivated, I headed on-line to look for others in the area.

I already knew of at least one from The Conclave and so it was back to there (it's the official forum for the Inquisitor game) that I went. Fortunately they have a fixed thread called "The Index of Where We Live" and I was able to email another N Yorks local to see if he was interested.

He is! And he has a friend who wants to play, too!

Progress...

No comments: