Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Going off at a tangent...

Well, I've got three more people interested in coming to the club... but they're all doing GCSEs!!

However, I'm a great believer in turning a problem into an opportunity. It so happens that all of those I've contacted so far are at the same school or live in the same general area near York. So an alternate direction suggests itself: an after-school club.

I'd not considered this before, because - as I said - I'm not really in this for running a youth club. But some schools have after-school coordinators, and I wouldn't mind acting as an advisor if there's interest. Frankly, once there's a room, some big bits of wood and a box or two of terrain, an after-school club should run itself... shouldn't it?

Well, I guess it's off to the GW School Clubs page to find out more...

As an aside, I was very conscious, when contacting Sam about this idea, that I was an adult contacting a minor over the Internet. This is dodgy territory and I was keen that should Sam mention this to a parent or teacher that there not be any concern that I'm a weirdo (I mean, I play wargames with toy soldiers, for heaven's sake - I must be a bit odd, musn't I?). As a result I was careful not to ask Sam where he goes to school, but instead to ask him to pass my email address to an appropriate teacher and for him/her to get in touch with me direct.

Word to the wise, eh?

No comments: