Monday, November 07, 2005

Well, it's a good thing I didn't get too excited

The two of us had a cup of coffee, looked at the venue, chatted about some ideas and then went to the pub...

But as the venue's not costing me anything, it's really academic. I just need to keep plugging the existence of the club and it'll stand or fall on its own merits.

That said, "plugging its existence" is proving tricky when I'm not exactly overburdened with free time in which to get stuff done. Unusually, it was my boss who prompted me to widen my advertising base (he tries to pay attention to what his underlings do with what little time is left to them; I used to think it was sweet, but now I suspect he's just working out when is a good time to keep me in late).

I reckon a poster campaign is in order. My contacts at the local school can put a few up, I'm sure. Likewise, the local library and, of course, the venue itself should carry a poster or two to raise awareness. We're in a military Garrison here in York, so it's worth contacting the local Headquarters to see if they will publicize the club in their weekly Orders and, if Garrison personnel attend the club, we may even be elligible for funding!

I'm assured that cracking the venue is the hardest part. The venue isn't perfect. It's too far out of the centre for that. But it's got enough going for it (it's free!) that I think it's worth persevering into the New Year and seeing what happens.

No comments: